Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Day

Well, as you may or may not know, it was American thanksgiving this past weekend. I ate lots and lots of turkey to make up for not getting any turkey on Canadian thanksgiving. Which, by the way, I learned Americans don't think we have. I can't tell you how many people asked me "do you have thanksgiving?" to which I would say "yes, but it is in October" to which they would say "really? Why? and what is thanksgiving to you Canadians? To us its about the pilgrims" (to which I would think, I know, I've been told 20 times) but I would respond, "I have no idea." then I would be asked "what do you eat?" to which I would say "everything you eat. Yep, we really aren't that different than you". That was an exciting conversation wasn't it? Also, I have discovered that apparently Canadian thanksgiving was an enfranchised holiday before American thanksgiving and that the whole American-pilgrim-Indian meal thing is actually just a story someone made up.
But back to turkey...I got two thanksgiving meals with turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, and pumpkin pie. It was great. I went to Whitney's families thanksgiving, which was fun. Her family is fun to hang out with. One of her grandparents enjoy staying up late and playing cards so we often get invited to hang out with them which is fun. I also got to see and play with the girls that I have mentioned before, which was also fun for me.
And of course, American thanksgiving would not be complete without some black Friday shopping. Which I did for the first time in my life. We shopped all night, started at 10PM and getting to bed at 5AM. It was a long night. I can tell you I had no idea what to expect but it was insane. There were SO many people shopping and pushing and shoving and it was crazy. The lineups were insane. We went to Target and stood in a line that wrapped around the entire store. The checkout lineup took as at least an hour. I did not buy too much, but my friend bought a bunch of DVDs (they were like 1-10 dollars each) and some other random clothes. It was a fun experience...not sure if it is one I will feel the need to repeat but it was fun nonetheless.
Now it is back to classes for one more week and then a week of exams and then home sweet home! See you soon Canada!!

No comments:

Post a Comment